Here’s an update on this post I wrote about making quilts for my childhood summer camp. The turkey blocks have arrived! I sent blocks to camp to be decorated and they’ve flown back to me. I photographed them in sets for detail’s sake. I sent two different sizes. ‘Cause I’m cool like that. Here are the smaller, rectangular ones.
As you can see from the last photo, I got some extras back that were not decorated. Which is completely fine! When making a signature quilt or collaborative project I ALWAYS make more blocks than I think are needed. They can always go on the back or be made into something else. I’d much rather have this problem than the uncomfortable one of not having enough for everyone who wanted to participate.
Okay, here are the next set of turkeys. These blocks are larger and (as you can tell if you passed kindergarten) square shaped.
Look! I even got some of those hand-turkeys I was talking about in my last post. Also some really intricate Zentangle-like blocks that are so artistic and awesome! Lots of feathers and tracks.
The final photo is of the maker’s block. I sent this one off to camp with the request that all of the artists identify themselves so I can give them credit. Didn’t expect anything this beautiful in return. Preeeeetty.
Also, the Bears’ quilt is completely finished! Pieced by Betsy Huffman and quilted by Nancy Dewire.
That’s all for now folks! I’ll post another update on the clan quilts as we get further along in this process.
It’s October in Southern California, which means it’s time for some strong winds. (Also, you might need a sweater after dark.) Anyway, we have an old rotten fence that partially blew down today, taking out a window. So I taped that up while my husband hatched a plan for putting the fence back up in a way that it would stay up through the next few weeks of windy days. It was a single-pane glass window in a room we haven’t gotten to sorting through yet. Faces the side yard, so we don’t have to replace it immediately.
Anyway, I told you the fence is all rotted-out, right? So my husband screws it back together best he can, and uses brackets, and the fence is pretty much together… except that I can knock it down just by leaning on it with my body weight. Here’s the new solution: there’s a stump close to the back of the fence and we have a 2×4 left over from another project. Let’s prop the fence up! Start by screwing the lumber to the stump.
Then screw it to the top of the fence, and voila! Now it’s wind-proof. We hope. And it looks so so silly that I just had to blog about it to share with everybody. These photos are all taken from the backyard. It doesn’t look as ridiculous from the front.
Alright, back to my quilting. I’m sending off a box of blocks and fabric markers to my childhood overnight camp tomorrow. There’s an alumni weekend coming up and participants will decorate the blocks and get them back to me. We’re making a signature quilt for the Turkey Clan’s room in the lodge! Fun, fun. Photos soon.